Saturday, 9 February 2013

How to Spray Paint a Typewriter... (Well, how I did it at least!)

So in my last post you may have noticed I was rather excited about my typewriter arriving. I did not waste any time in getting to painting it a pretty colour.

So, after much deliberation whilst wandering round Hobbycraft, I finally settled on doing it a baby blue colour. I kinda wanted a more 'duck egg' blue but they didn't have any.

So...

I dismantled the machine, making a VERY good mental note of how it went together...



 I took this opportunity to give all the hard to reach places a good clean...



Then, all the labels and decals need to be taped up with masking tape...


I also decided to make the case baby blue...

The handle was more tricky to cover up, so I used a plastic bag with some masking tape.


It then needs to be primed. I just used a basic grey primer from Halford's. Most brands will have instructions on the tin to say what they are suitable for.


After leaving the primer to dry for the recommended amount of time, I sprayed it all blue. Again, reading and actually adhering to the instructions on the label is a good idea- shake the can, don't spray too close etc. Ventilation is also a must- My flat smells awful right now.




After all the paint has dried, the masking tape can come off. Then it can be put back together again. This is so very satisfying...



I thought that maybe I would change the front panel to something less hideous than the fake wood effect, so more decisions to be made!



I settled on a lovely vintage floral pattern from a pad of scrap-booking paper. It had to be cut to size but this wasn't too tricky. Just a case of measuring and trimming until it fit.



Voila! I am EXCEPTIONALLY pleased with it!